Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The dog and the bone

1 Chronicles 12:32 (New Living Translation)


32 From the tribe of Issachar, there were 200 leaders of the tribe with their relatives. All these men understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take.


Today Brent and I were talking a little bit about being visionaries and the frustrations that come from having that kind of persona sometimes. I told him that there are days when I feel like the little dog with the fishing rod tie to it's back, running after the bone dangling right in front of me. I can see it, I can smell it, but I don't have it and I can't taste it. Almost, but not quite. And much like that dog, no matter how much I run after it, chase it with all my might, that bone will never be mine until my master comes and gets me to be still and retrieves the bone and gives it to me.

So hence today's verse. It is great to have vision, and visionaries, much like their timing counterparts are definitely needed. However, it is not enough to have vision. We must also understand the signs of the times, and in being able to discern the timing of things, thereby also know which is the best course to take at this particular time. Brent says a lot how he managed to mess things up in the past where he saw the vision, but got the timing wrong and in doing so, created more of a mess than anything else.

The problem sometimes with promises is that because we know it's been promised and that we're going to get it, it creates an undeniable anticipation and hope for what is to come. There's nothing wrong with this of course, except for when we let this overtake us and forget that just as much as the promise means to us, even more so is the journey that gets us there. True wisdom comes not just from being to hear God's voice and follow His commands, but also from being able to look at what is right before us and deal with it before heading on to the next thing.

Too often, we get caught up in the future, or dwell too much in the past that we forget to live in the present and invariably end up creating a vicious cycle of regret as we only realize what we've missed once it's passed us by. I know I've been guilty of this, and I'm determined to try and make this stop and to embrace everyday as it comes. There is beauty I think in being able to be at rest and be still, even if the rest of the world is rushing by and telling you to get moving.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. Seize it.

Matthew 6:34 (New Living Translation)


34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

No comments: