Thursday, March 26, 2009

Light of the world

Matthew 5:14-16 (New Living Translation)

14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.


Today I'm reminded that sometimes we're tired and we don't want to push forward anymore and it doesn't seem worth it, but God calls us to persevere and keep moving, because really, this is not about us, but about others seeing His glory so that people will know that He is truth, He is light, and He is Almighty God.

I don't know about you, but I find that I have a tendency to make it about myself, forgetting that a lot of times things happen in our lives to teach us things yes, but that it's ultimately so that we can tell our stories to others and see God impact in that way.

Some days it doesn't seem fair, and one might question why I would have to go through something if it's really for someone else's benefit, but then again, I'd rather my life be used by Him in some way, than to not be used at all.

So I am still tired, and my head still hurts, but I keep moving anyway because I realize that that's the only way to get to the finish line. One step forward, then another, and on the cycle goes. Time is going to pass anyway, so I might as well be moving as it ticks by, otherwise what's the point? Talk and no action breeds futility, and there is no time to waste.

And really, the other thing I'm learning is this: if you can talk about it, then you can pray about it. Words themselves are useless unless put to action, and prayer, I've concluded, is simply putting words in motion.

So this begs the question: When things get rough, are you going to sit there and complain about it, or are you going to pray? I think I'll choose to pray.

No comments: